Millions of Americans will suffer tooth loss at some point in their lives. Many times, adult tooth loss can be caused by gum disease or decay that has been left untreated. But even those of us who take great care of our teeth can experience unexpected tooth loss through an injury. At our dental office in Doylestown, we know that nobody wants to go through life missing a tooth. And the truth is, nobody has to. Thanks to improvements in dental technology and skills, we have the ability to permanently replace teeth through the use of dental implants.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Now, while dental implants aren’t the only tooth replacement option available to those missing a tooth or even several teeth, it is usually the preferred treatment method for your dentist in Doylestown. Unlike other tooth replacement procedures such as a dental bridge or removable denture, a dental implant is a permanent solution that functions very similarly to your natural tooth. It’s like you were never missing one in the first place! There are many benefits to a dental implant including:
- The freedom to eat what you want with no worry of slipping dentures.
- The ability to brush and floss as normal. No soaking necessary.
- A permanent, strong solution.
- A natural-looking smile.
Why Should You Consider a Dental Implant?
Losing a tooth isn’t something that only affects your oral health. In fact, leaving a gap in your smile can have side effects on your overall health as well. Chewing food can become difficult or impossible, limiting your ability to fuel your body with proper nutrition. Other teeth may start to shift, causing overlapping or crooked teeth that can lead to jaw pain and a misaligned bite. Your jaw bone is also left without anything there to keep it strong. This can cause bone loss in the jaw and your face to take on a saggy, old appearance. However, replacing a tooth with a dental implant solves all of these issues.
Since a dental implant replaces the entire tooth’s structure, including the roots, it’s a restoration that functions almost identically to a natural tooth. This allows you to eat what you want, keeps your jaw bone stimulated and strong, and keeps your smile full and straight.
What’s Getting an Implant Like?
While the dental implant procedure can sound intimidating, scary, and painful, the truth is, many patients find the process very easy and experience minimal pain. The secret? Start by talking with your dentist in Doylestown to see if a dental implant is right for you. If it is, here’s what you can expect.
- Placing of the post. A titanium post is surgically implanted into the jaw bone. This is the structure that replaces your natural tooth root and keeps your jaw bone active.
- Time to heal. It will take your body a little bit of time to fuse the bone and post together to form a strong foundation. In the meantime, your dentist will provide you with a temporary crown to cover up the post.
- Cap it off. After the post is healed completely, your dentist will custom-create a crown (or a cap) and permanently attach it to the post. This crown will be shaded to match other teeth so nobody will ever be able to tell it’s not your natural tooth.
We believe that nobody should go through life with a missing tooth and invite anyone who may be considering a dental implant or other tooth-replacement option to schedule an appointment with us. We’re here to help all of our neighbors find the right solution for them. Call us today!