There are a number of things that can cause our teeth to fall out, including accidents, age, decay, and disease. In fact, tooth loss is incredibly common among American adults and affects more than 178 million of us, according to the American College of Prosthodontists. But if you’re one of the millions of Americans missing a tooth or even several teeth, your dentist in Doylestown wants you to know that you don’t need to live without a full smile. There are tooth replacement options such as dental implants and dentures available that can help.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are a tooth replacement treatment option that has been around for quite some time but has been improved upon as technology advanced. Dentures can either replace all of your natural teeth or even only a series of missing teeth (called a partial denture). They are removable, non-permanent prosthetics that are custom-created to fit in your mouth and appear like natural teeth.
Pros of Dentures
There are several benefits of dentures, including:
- More affordable than dental implants
- Can be good for those who just had their teeth removed and who want time for their mouth to heal before dental implant surgery
- There’s no surgery involved
- Dentures or partial dentures can be modified if more teeth are lost later in life
Cons of Dentures
As with anything, your dentist in Doylestown also wants you to be aware that dentures can also come with a few cons such as:
- They may not look as natural as dental implants
- They have to be removed, cleaned, and stored properly every night
- They require adhesive to stay in place which can get costly over time
- They can slip while eating and talking which can be uncomfortable
- They may not allow you to eat all the foods you want to eat such as corn, apples, or things with tiny seeds
- They can increase the likelihood of gum disease if they aren’t cleaned properly or if food gets trapped
- They’re very delicate and can break easily and require a brand new prosthetic
- Partials can weaken the teeth supporting it leading to additional problems
What are Dental Implants?
Like dentures, dental implants can also replace either one missing tooth or an entire mouth of missing teeth. But unlike dentures, dental implants are permanent, and instead of sitting on top of the jaw bone, dental implants are secured into the jaw bone. Dental implant treatment starts with a titanium post being placed into the jaw bone where it will act as your tooth root. As it heals, your bone will actually grow around the post, securely locking it into place. Afterward, an abutment is added to the post, and a brand new crown custom-created by your dentist in Doylestown is placed on top. Now, if you’re missing more than one tooth, a few posts may be implanted into your bone then a full set of brand new teeth will be permanently secured to them, giving you a brand new look.
Pros of Dental Implants
Dental implants can be the best and longest lasting tooth replacement for you and can also provide some of the following benefits.
- Dental implants tend to be more comfortable than dentures
- You can eat what you want with dental implants
- They don’t affect speech
- They don’t require daily removal and reinsertion
- You can care for them just like your natural teeth
- Dental implants can last for decades with proper care
- They can reduce the risk of additional oral health problems
Cons of Dental Implants
Even though dental implants may appear to be all positive, there are a few cons as well.
- Dental implants are more expensive than dentures
- They do require surgery
- Not everyone is a candidate for implants
If you’re tired of living your life with missing teeth, call your dentist in Doylestown and schedule a consultation. Together, you can find the best way to replace your teeth and begin treatment so you can start smiling fully again.